Alessandro Forcina, Telecom Italia Sparkle
Contact: click here
A Primer on NFV : this paper is intended illustrate why NFV is one of the key topics for carriers right now
To provide a common forum where the members can share their knowledge and experience, facilitating the best practices for implementation and new ways of interworking for those services where SDN/NFV were implemented. The group also explores on the impact of NFV on interconnects.
Scope & objectives
- Focus on education, sharing of experience, dialogue between Carriers and Vendors
- Explore the implementation of NFV in the Service Providers and Carriers and which services are involved
- Analyze how NFV is changing the current services in terms of configuration, implementation, information exchanged, operational process, expertise of the personnel, etc.
- Identify how the efficiency in the Service Providers and Carriers’ networks based on NFV can provide more efficiency in the interconnections between SP-Carrier and Carrier-Carrier
- Identify potential issues of NFV implementation which impact interconnections between Service Providers and Carriers.
- How to use NFV elastic scaling and auto-healing for deployment of telco grade systems (local and geo redundancy) and create a better CAPEX model
- NFV TCO model. Provide TCO comparison between cloud, hybrid, COTS (bare-metal) and specialized HW
- Include interconnect model transcoding
- Use of different clouds (public or private)
- Benefits of using NFV platforms for enterprise and wholesale at the same time
- Impact on OSS/BSS
- System integration
- Service templates
Senior Members Product Development, Network and IT Departments. with a deep knowledge of the SDN and NFV related business and/or technical impacts
Way of working
Physical meeting and conference call
Target date for completion
Release of deliverables every 9 / 12 months