One of the most active parts of i3forum is our IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) workgroup. We unite players from across the international Carrier ecosystem to tackle the biggest challenges facing IMS and enable advanced communication services.
Today, some of the main challenges we face with IMS-based services include emerging mobility demands, interoperability issues and security. We’ve been extremely active in creating frameworks and providing recommendations that support the international Carrier ecosystem to solve these issues.
Over the last year, we’ve been working on documents to support transformation across the entire industry. The IMS workgroup have created documents and guidelines that can create value through collaboration.
With developments in today’s market, working together is a key component of driving widespread industry transformation.
Here’s what we’ve been working on over the last year:
- End-to-End Service Interoperability – Our whitepaper looks into the interoperability issues related to the international interconnection of multi-service IMS-based platforms with a focus on voice and video services that come from fixed and mobile networks
- Recommendations for Network to Network Interface specification – This document provides our perspective on the definition of Network-to-Network Interface (NNI) between multi-service IMS-based platforms. It aims to facilitate the implementation time of IMS NNI
The objective of these documents is to provide an analysis of the impact on Carriers’ and IPX Providers’ platforms for the provisioning of IMS-based services.
Going forward, we want to tackle new challenges related to IMS-based services. Our IMS work group objectives for 2018:
- i3forum & GSMA IPX documentation alignment
- VoLTE Interconnection Guidelines
- Calling Party Number Validation – The Impact on IMS & Standardization
- Proactive Transcoding Review
- Best practices and industry status for end-to-end secured delivery of Voice traffic
- Industry impact measurement, traffic reporting and interconnection guidelines for IPX
Throughout the year we want to continue to work together to drive change. The IMS workgroup are working together to address topics that can create real benefits for our members and the entire industry.
We will continue to share our recommendations and reports to support transformation in IMS-based services. We encourage everyone to get involved across the Carrier ecosystem so we can truly make IMS a success. The benefit of working together is that we can come together to collaborate and deliver real and practical results.
If you want to collaborate to deliver practical and tangible results that have a direct positive impact on the international Carrier ecosystem then you can join our IMS workgroup here: http://i3forum.org/membership/
To read our IMS workgroup whitepapers, click here: http://i3forum.org/blog/category/ims/