Frequently Asked Questions
Click on each question to open answer.
1. What is the purpose of the i3forum?
The i3forum, established in 2007, is an organization of the International Telecommunications ecosystem that brings together all stakeholders (International Carriers, Vendors, Enterprise Service Providers etc…) in order to help define best practices, promote and foster adoption of Industry transformation. It encourages innovation and competition and its work is made public.
2. What benefit does i3forum bring to the marketplace?
We are laying the foundations for industry transformation and shaping the essential building blocks that we must share in order for our businesses to thrive. In our world, innovation demands collaboration. The i3forum’s initial focus on expediting the international telecommunication’s industry transition to IP has subsequently been broadened. Its mission now is to act as an enabler and a catalyst for industry transformation. The i3forum is a not-for-profit, membership funded forum. It is not a standardization body. It works closely with other Industry organizations, avoiding duplication of work and focusing on actionable practical recommendations and solutions for the Int’l Carriers industry. The i3forum’s approach is open, simple and pragmatic.
3. What are the core i3forum deliverables?
The i3forum aims to :
- Represent : the views of the International Carrier Ecosystem
- Bring together : focus on topics that require joint work and collaboration across the Ecosystem
- Transform : enable and facilitate the role of carriers in the timely emergence of new ecosystems, and new technical, operational and commercial models
- Guide : publish recommendations for industry Stakeholders
4. How does the i3forum help me grow my business?
As a member of the i3forum,
I can share and learn from the community : get educated on industry trends and evolution, understand better the requirements of my customers and the market environment, benchmark my own practices, strategies, products…
I can benefit from community actions and work : leverage i3forum’s work in order to develop the right approach & make the right decisions, use i3forum’s recommendations & best practices to streamline my business, save time, effort and money and speed up the implementation of the industry transformations that I need in order to develop my business
I can influence the community : shape drive the vision for the industry, understand and influence other industry stakeholders so they develop what I need, influence other industry bodies
I can promote my business with the community and the Industry : promote my vision, develop relationship, leverage i3forum’s brand to demonstrate compliance, enhance credibility, demonstrate quality.
5. Who is developing the i3forum recommendations?
Members of the i3forum participate in work groups directly reporting to the Board, that are created based on membership input, industry insight and Board priorities.
Our roadmap focuses on topics that require industry collaboration and is updated on an annual basis and discussed at our Annual Conference held in May in conjunction with ITW.
Work Groups agree their own objectives, timeline and organization for each work cycle which run from September to May. They generally strive to make public new documents (or updates) in time for the Annual Conference.
GOVERNANCE & OPERATIONAL
1. How is the i3forum governed and operated?
The i3forum is incorporated in the state of Delaware, USA. It is governed by several documents that can be accessed here : Bylaws, IPR and Antitrust policies, Work Group’s Procedures.
The i3forum is a not-for-profit, membership funded forum. It is not a standardization body.
2. Who runs the i3forum?
The governing body is the Board of Directors with currently 11 Board members. Board members elected among and by Full Members for a two years mandate (renewable). The Board is made up of 2/3 Int’l Carriers, 1/3 other categories (e.g. Vendors, ServiceProviders…). Board seat belongs to Member company, not individual.
3. What are the membership classes/levels?
The i3forum welcomes various categories of members from the International Telecommunications ecosystem :
- International Carriers : telecom operators selling international wholesale (B2B) services : voice termination, IP transit, SMS & MMS termination, roaming services, signaling, managed and unmanaged data transport…
- Other Telecom Operators including Service Providers, OTTs…
- Vendors : network equipment, IT, services (e.g. hosting, clearing house, testing) …
- Other partners : Institutions, Industry organizations, Media partners and analysts, Individuals… Such organizations can only be Partners.
The following Membership Tiers are be available :
- Board Member (elected by and among Full Members) – Board elects a Chairperson, a Treasurer and a Secretary.
- Full Member – can contribute and vote. Can be elected as Chair of Working Group and as Board Member
- Observer Member – can attend Work Groups but not eligible to WG Chair or Board, and no voting rights
- Partners: similar to Observer Member but reserved and mandatory Tiers for members that are not Int’l Carriers, Operators or Vendors
Annual Membership Dues as of May 2016 :
- Board members : 15,000 USD.
- Full members : 10,000 USD
- Observer members : 7,000 USD
- Partners : free (reserved for Institutions, Industry organizations, Media partners and analysts, Individuals…)
4. How do I join a Working Group?
Your company needs to be a Full or Observer Member in order to be able to send participants to Work Groups and Support Groups. Partner Members may participate by invitation only.
5. How long does it take to complete the membership process?
The membership process is very simple. You first need to apply by contacting the Chairman (use Contact Us or the click contact in the Board and Officers section), explaining briefly what your company does and why it wants to join. You will then be asked to sign and return the Membership Agreement (available for download), and then you will get the invoice for the membership dues if applicable. Upon payment you’re a Member and your team can join the Work Groups.